Friday 11 June 2010

back to barefoot with a bang

After a couple of weeks off bf I thought it was about time to break the duck and get out bogtrotting again.

Parking up at Row Tor the weather was about perfect - a nice cool north-easterly which would help the outward uphill run. Only a minibus in the car park, presumably for the kids bouldering and scrambling in climbing helmets on Row Tor. One of them said 'Look, he's got nothing on his feet!'. I forget how weird it must look. Almost stopped Spook in time before he investigated a rucsac for chocolate........

A nice run off the other side and a stoney sweary bit (out of earshot of the kids) across the track and off up West Mil Tor. This is one of my favourite bf bits - with beautifully soft turf giving way to clitter and bilberry then a smooth section round the top of the tor and down to the bogginess of the upper reaches of the Red-a-ven Brook.

The climb up to Yes Tor is similar, just a bit longer and with more clitter and bilberries to pick through. Before long I was up to the trig point and padding along the 'ridge' to High Willhays.












The terrain felt generally softer today; probably because the vegetation softens towards the summer or my soles are being conditioned or I'm getting used to it, but more likely a combination of all three. I noticed that I haven't got the post-bf tingle on my soles. Pity.........

2 comments:

  1. One gets enough funny looks in VFF's.

    Like the new layout. I am tempted to change mine again for one of the new looks ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, a definate improvement- can't have too much matt black!

    ReplyDelete