Friday 1 October 2010

Flat Tor plodge

Chucking it down coupled with a Met Office severe weather warning meant ideal conditions to get out for a plodge in the clarts.

Parking at Postbridge I was eyed suspiciously by a couple of fat blokes in Dartmoor National Park fleeces in the visitors' centre as I set off clutching my camera and a dog lead.

The soggy conditions underfoot boded well for a good shot of the East Dart waterfall doing its thing and after a tricky crossing of the usually tame Braddon Lake we were soon on Broad Down. From there it was a bog-trotting tussock-fest for another tricky crossing of the Broada Marsh Stream with lumpy rain pelting in on a lively northerly.

Time to get the back of my vest wet I re-traced my steps to the Broada Marsh Stream from Flat Tor, followed it to its confluence with the East Dart and followed the river to the waterfall.




















Although a modest river, the East Dart can put on a bit of a display at times.












From here it was up and over Broad Down and back down Drift Lane to the car park.
Nice to get out when the moor was moody.

13 comments:

  1. thats some flow going there
    love your attire..a vest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - impressive photos of the river. I'm in Snowdonia this weekend and the rivers are swollen here too. Nothing like that, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was as wet as I was going to get in about 5 mins so it didn't mater after that - quite mild temps too. Can't beat a run in the rain sometimes. Enjoy the mountains Methuselah :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool post! nice pics and some interesting phrases

    ReplyDelete
  5. The noise was amazing. Got as close as I dared -wouldn't have fancied a swim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers. I've been hiking in my Innov8s, so wet feet all day too... but so much better than hiking in big clompy boots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cracking stuff - hopefully fit enough soon to join you on a vast-clad swoop-shod mince on't mooahs mate = )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent. Loads of clarts to plodge in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers guys. The light was a bit flat but I was cooling too fast to hang about for a break in the clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, thats a raging torrent if ever I've seen one. Is that top photo in Sandy Hole Pass??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi WITC,

    The top photo is of the waterfall too. I had planned to cross upstream from Sandy Hole Pass to get a shot of the falls from the opposite bank, but this was no-go. Next time I may go up the other side from Postbridge - there's a slab on the left bank which will make a cracking viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete