Wednesday 11 August 2010

blast down Brat Tor





















After a week of coast path running and surfing for me and a week in the kennels for Spook the Wonder Dog, it was time for us both to get out on the moor for a run. I thought it was about time to find the limits of grip from the monkey feet so I parked at High Down and ran up to Great Links Tor via Brat Tor.
The clag was refusing to shift from the top and was doing its best 'Hound of the Baskervilles' swirly mist stylee thing.

On the descent towards Arms Tor on wet, slippy short grass the grip was impressive with my toes splaying out to about half as wide again as my fell shoes. It seems what they lack in tread they make up for in area and I felt confident enough to ease off the brakes a bit.
On the steeper descent off Brat Tor I let rip a bit and got down to the River Lyd for a dip and feet cooling without mishap. Spook however, with his superbly designed 4x4 system had a few million years of evolution head start and was unimpressed.

6 comments:

  1. havent you tried teaching spook to surf yet ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a bit of a challenge stopping him from drinking sea-water (squitty consequences!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounda good. was this with the vibrams, or with bare feet? my flow treks didn't cope will with the steep wet grass on the flanks of Brandreth at the weekend :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was with the kso treks. I reckon they're on a par with my swoops, possibly better

    ReplyDelete
  5. They seem to have renamed Brat Tor on my OS map now called Bray Tor probably a mistake! Sounds like a nice run love it when the clag comes down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does seem to change it's name quite a bit! Can't beat those misty murky moors :-)

    ReplyDelete